Tuesday 24 April 2012

Leaving the World by Douglas Kennedy

OMG!!! I don't usually say this about a book but what a story. I loved this book. True there were parts of it when I wanted to shout at the main character, Jane and say 'what are you doing?' but once I got into it I could not put it down. The book is set in America and Canada which was interesting for me because as you know the books I have posted about so far have all been set in rural England. Mr Kennedy dives into the character amazingly and as 'The Times' has noted on the back cover the of the book is 'famous for insightfully writing about women's lives'. I had never really thought about a man writing from a woman's perceptive before but I must agree with the Times, he is absolutely fabulous at it.
The book is divided into four parts, each of which focuses on Jane's stages in the story. Jane is not such a complex character but is portrayed as being very knowledgeable about the world from the start. However like many of us she is taken on a roller coaster ride which keeps the reader gripped.
Who is it for? Anyone but not for those who are struggling with bereavement.
Score: 9.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment